Saturday, March 11, 2006

Used Car Salesmen

This morning I got to spend four hours in a car showroom. Gates of Stevenage. Their new showroom is very smart, and a lot better than the old showroom I spent years prowling in. Some of the old faces are still there - so many years on.

I was there for four hours because I made the mistake of waiting while they serviced the Galaxy.

I had that slightly uncomfortable sensation of seeing many faces, some better known to me than others, all of whom were friendly, perfectly happy to see me, and yet... I had the feeling of being in the way. I expected it, and still it was a little saddening.

My life has changed completely since I left there six and a half years ago. I've got married and had two children - but that's not it. I've grown, my career has blossomed, and when the folks at the dealership see me, I can't help but feel there's a hint of resentment.

There was also the thing of it being Saturday. I can remember as a salesman not wanting to get bogged down with wheel-kickers on a Saturday, and I guess even a good friend doesn't trump a billy (bunter - punter - also a "hillman" as in hunter) unless he's buying.

I'm glad I had my PSP and Ridge Racer to pass the time.

It was good to see them, but I definitely got out at the right time, they all just look older (I guess I do too) and they sound more cynical. I have my moments, but I enjoy my career most days... and even on the worst days, I'm very lucky to be working with someone who takes no crap from me and gets me to straighten up and fly right - it's mutual and that's what makes it work so well. I had a similar relationship with my boss when I was at the dealership, but he's long gone having passed his wisdom on (as best as I am able to interpret it, leastways) - leaving the guys to chase the next deal and contemplate growing old, a used car salesman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home