Tuesday, June 06, 2006

People and Trains

Why do people queue to get off trains?

Is this a new phenomenon since the advent of "pshhht" doors? - No, I can remember dodging the opening doors as trains came into stations. I used to regularly open the slam door and be off and walking using the momentum of the still moving train as I arrived at Cannon Street (c. 1989)

Is it because someone has to be there to push the button the moment the train stops (the only shorter measure of time than the gap between the train stop and the finger press is the gap between the green light and the taxi-driver behind you blowing his horn)? - No, because the door still "pshhht"s if you wait several seconds and the train driver is always going to wait a few seconds before setting off again even if you're the only person getting off at that stop.

Every morning as I come into Kings Cross people start packing and making ready to exit pretty much the moment the train leaves Finsbury Park. By the time we've gone under the new St Pancras Channel Rail Link structure (still at least a minute from the train actually stopping) there's a queue all the way down the aisle. Why?

I'm waiting for the day when the train fails to stop (those old WAGN, sorry FCC trains are way past their sell-by date). Injury count likely to be much higher than necessary because everyone (except me, obviously) will be stood-up and will fall like dominoes.

There I'm in a really cheerful mood today, can you tell?

1 Comments:

Blogger Karoona said...

I fear its part of the noughties.. EVERYONE has to be first. I often wonder why we moan about the NHS - based on this phenomonen alone all these people are clearly involved in life and death jobs.... Keep it cool and relaxed - looks suave!

9:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home