Friday, May 19, 2006

Water water everywhere...

About six weeks ago a new spring appeared out of the pavement just up the road. My neighbour Bob (a nice chap of mature years) reported the leak to Three Valleys Water. It took them three goes to fix it over a period of five weeks. But that's not at the heart of what's got my goat.

On Tuesday this week my wife rang me at the office to inform me that the plumber had been round (I'll spare you the back story but it involves hissing sounds from under the floor in the kitchen) and sure enough we had a leak. Furthermore his assessment was the leak was on the mains side of the stopcock and therefore would be an insurance job - not least because of the amount of damage required to the kitchen floor to find and fix the leak.

My wife rang the insurance company - Norwich Union may well want to quote you happy, but see how quick the smile leaves your face if you need to make a claim - to be told we weren't covered.

She rang me - its immediately my fault for choosing Norwich Union you understand - to break the bad news.

Tuesday was not a great day at work (not as bad as Monday unusually, but not great - I had to put some dodgy plumbing of my own into the network - mine being of the electronic variety - and I've still not rolled out the fix, but that's a different story) so when she called I really wasn't in the mood to deal with it.

By the time I got home I had relaxed (Sony must be congratulated for their PSP) enough to call Norwich Union. A very helpful chap listened to my explanation of the problem and declared that of course I was covered and he would arrange an emergency (!!!!!!) Visit the following morning and in the meantime I should call Three Valleys Water to find out where the street stopcock was.

I called TVW as instructed. Apparently they charge £60 to tell you which flap to lift in the pavement and if the stopcock has seized (remember this is their stopcock, owned by them and presumably maintained by them) that it would cost ME a minimum of £260 to replace it. ME!?! How so? - They own it! - Despite this blatant attempt to cause me a spontaneous haemathorax I politely declined their help and hung up.

This is merely the beginning of the whole sorry saga. More later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haemothorax

n : accumulation of blood in the pleural cavity (the space between the lungs and the walls of the chest)

1:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home